Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Really Fun Weekend

I really wanted to get this post done before Neal left, but I don't think I'll make it! Oh well, I guess that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure he had more important things to do than catch up on miscellaneous blogs!

I had great fun last weekend. I went down (oops I meant UP, sorry, Dad) to Caliente for Neal's missionary farewell. I know, I know, it's not PC to call it that anymore, but it's an easy way to say it. Neal was talking in church before leaving on his mission to Brazil. A good excuse for everybody to gather in Caliente and see each other, and I like to join in those gatherings whenever I can! Kevin's kids and their families are especially dear to my heart.

But before I get going about the trip, I just have to post this little video I just found, featuring Neal, Cory, and a little game of catch. Remember this?!


The Joanna Toss! Ahh, good times, huh? That didn't happen this past weekend (I assume it was Thanksgiving 2006), but the three main characters were there this weekend, too!


Anyway, I was going to do my usual procedure of describing the whole weekend in minute detail, including all information about the guy I tried to set up with Vera on a blind date (she couldn't come), but I'll spare you that and just give the weekend highlights. (Maybe I'll do that in my next post -- there were a few "Adventures with Grandpa" classics.) It was great seeing everyone. There were a lot of adorable babies, little kids, and some of my very favorite people. Mainly, though, I was so impressed by how grown up Neal has become. On Saturday afternoon I walked into Kevin's house and, seeing Neal seated on the end of the couch, I did my usual greeting -- I flicked his ear. I fully expected his usual response of jumping up and chasing me around the room to get back at me, but he merely said hello. When I wanted to check to see if he had a fever, he said he was merely tired. Tired? Whoa! My baby nephew has grown up! (I don't know what that says about me and my method of greeting people, though. Maybe I need a little maturing myself!)

A bit later, Neal spent a little time with me and showed me his four-wheel motorcross pictures (I think that's what they were called) and the book that Vera made him for Christmas with pictures of his family that he can show around while on his mission (very nice job, Vera). I told him about my one experience in driving a four-wheeler on an excursion in Mexico and the meltdown I had at the first rest stop (I wanted to GO HOME and never drive that thing again, but the only way back was to get back on the bike). Yes, I adjusted a bit by the time that tour was over, but I'm still not overly anxious to do it again! At any rate, I was so pleased that Neal took the time to talk to me. There were so many other people there that wanted his attention.

Neal did a wonderful job in his talk on Sunday. What I remember most about it was that he mentioned his father, my brother Kevin, a couple of times, and how much he loves and appreciates him. I got a little tear or two when I heard that. I tried to tell Kevin and Neal how I felt at the dinner they had after church, but I probably bungled it, so I'll say it now. I am so glad that Neal recognizes what a wonderful guy his father is. I have loved and admired Kevin for many, many years. He is a kind and gentle soul, and a forgiving one, too. My main criticism for Caliente in general is that I don't think they properly appreciate my brother or my father. I have great love for them both. Back to Kevin, though, there have been many changes in my oldest brother since he used to chase Susie and me while he was riding his bicycle, swinging a baseball bat!

In closing, I send all my love and best wishes to everyone who was there -- and those that couldn't make it -- and especially to Neal. You do the family proud.

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Karen *tears*. Note: Next time you do an emotional post, please give a warning in advance so I read this at home and not at work, though, ok?!!!
    Neal really has grown up and matured. He really has done the family proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Vera. Since I didn't get any responses, I was beginning to think I had said something wrong! Thank you so much for all your love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how our memories dim over the years....I don't remember chasing you on my bike...HA..HA. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I missed this post! I just saw (and read) it. I'm with Vera...next time you do an emotional post - please give a warning. At least I'm home, though...but Amanda thinks I've gone crazy - sitting here with tears in my eyes. I wish we could've been in Caliente for this weekend. It sounds like it was a great time. I completely agree with you, Karen...on all accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin, you chased us on your bike while we were trapped up in the apricot tree, fearing for our lives. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete